Open source printers are for ? … They are for mods, hacks and tweaks !
The first obvious modification (not to say immodestly improvement) deals with the cooling air blower in front of the print head. Most the air flow would splits on the Y axis rod, some would re-converge thanks to physic’s law, most would cool the peek insulator and little would reach the printed material. Gasp !
I found some nice ideas on the net, tried to design one based of the split air ducts principle but the result was poor due to the low section of the air ducts. So I decided to design one of my own which would match the following requirements:
- Apply the least non destructive modifications to the existing design
- Direct most of the fan production toward the printed area (1 or 2 extruders)
- Has no effect on the size of the printed area
And here is the result:
The assembly is made of two symmetric parts which encapsulate the “y” rod. Tow key pins allow an easy and quick assembly. The two parts are locked by an horizontal retaining screw (1x self-threading size 4, length 1/2′) and by vertical screws which go through the fan holes down to the cooling ducts assembly (2x self-threading size 4, length 1/2′).
The only change applicable to the existing material is a gentle bend applied to the fan holder so that the fan keeps in an horizontal position. Printing the parts is easy, take little time a little material (PLA is ok but ABS will probably last longer as the part faces a heated zone. No need for support and 0.2 mm “z” steps are far sufficient.
Here is an exemple of what you can get out of th Vertex k8400
Installing is easy
and results in this
In other words, printing this part is a good exercise and results in bringing a significant improvement to the printing head design. The STL files are available for download from >here<